Meeting Requirements and Standards
Download the PDF of the Meeting Requirements and Standards and print it out to take to your meeting for re-registration approval.
The bylaws of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous, Inc., require that each FA meeting register with an FA intergroup or chapter. In order to register, a meeting must agree to the FA conference-approved requirements and standards that define an FA meeting. Only those meetings that comply with the Meeting Requirements and Standards may be registered with FA World Service, Inc. and with an FA intergroup or chapter. All new meetings will be asked to comply upon initial registration. All existing meetings will be asked to re-register periodically. The primary purpose for this process is this: No matter where in the world one finds an FA meeting, one can readily recognize and find FA recovery in that room.
Meeting Requirements and Standards
(Compiled July 2012)
1. As a group, the members meet to practice the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of FA.
2. All who have a desire to stop abusing themselves with food are welcome.
3. The meeting format must contain the following:
- The Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions of FA.
- The Definition of Abstinence: Weighed and measured meals with nothing in between, no flour, no sugar, and the avoidance of any individual binge foods.
- The Definition of a Food Addict: Food addiction is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit for which there is no cure, but it can be arrested a day at a time by adapting to a disciplined way of eating and the 12 step program of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous. When we abuse food by using it as a drug, our lives become unmanageable. Food addicts have an allergy to flour, sugar, and quantities that sets up an uncontrollable craving. The problem can be arrested a day at a time by weighing and measuring our food and abstaining completely from all flour and sugar.
- The requirement that only members of the fellowship with 90 days or more of continuous abstinence in FA, who are working with an FA sponsor, be invited to share.
- The requirement that only members of the fellowship with 90 days or more of continuous abstinence in FA, who are working with an FA sponsor, shall have a voice and a vote at the group’s business meetings.
- The FA Preamble, “How it Works”, the Promises of the Program, the FA Tools of Recovery, announcements of the 7th tradition collection, welcoming the newcomer and identifying available sponsors, and a break approximately midway through for greeting newcomers. All portions must be identical (unaltered) to those found in the Sample FA Meeting Format of the Meeting Guidelines.
4. Each meeting must also comply with the following standards in order to register as an FA meeting:
- Meetings shall meet for 90 minutes, in person, in a public facility and set up chairs in rows facing the speaker. (Note: “phone meetings” are not FA meetings, as they are not, by definition, “in person.”)
- No food plan may be distributed as an approved meeting document, though sponsors may of course share food plans with sponsees as a component of the complete FA program of recovery.
- Only FA conference-approved literature, and conference-recognized and WSI board- approved materials may be offered for sale or distribution or read at an FA meeting.
- A meeting may only elect as a World Service Conference (WSC) member someone who regularly attends that meeting.
5. The following service positions must be filled:
- WSI Contact
- Web & Directory Contact
- Intergroup Contact
- Chapter Contact (if the meeting is registered with a chapter)