Am I a Food Addict?
To find out, answer the following questions as honestly as you can.
- Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn't?
- Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
- Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
- Do you binge and then "get rid of the binge" through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
- Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
- Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about your eating habits or weight?
- Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
- Is your weight problem due to your "nibbling" all day long?
- Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
- Do you eat when you're not hungry?
- Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
- Do you eat in secret?
- Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
- Have you ever stolen other people's food?
- Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have "enough"?
- Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
- Do you obsessively calculate the calories you've burned against the calories you've eaten?
- Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you've eaten?
- Are you waiting for your life to begin "when you lose the weight"?
- Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you may be a food addict. You are not alone. FA offers hope through a real solution to food addiction.
How to get started in FA
Go to an FA meeting and find a sponsor, or call an FA member. The member will help you find a sponsor who will guide you and help you begin the FA program.
Use the link below to search for meetings near your home. Each meeting lists a contact person. Call a meeting's contact person to confirm the meeting location and time, and to ask any questions you may have.