Are You a Food Addict?
Take Our Quiz and See
Food addiction can show itself in many different ways. We thought we lacked willpower or self-discipline. Many of us had self-discipline in other areas of our lives, but not with food. Or if we sometimes restrained our eating while on a diet, it never lasted very long.
We heard people express feelings of low self-esteem, fear, doubt, insecurity, shame, guilt, and hopelessness around their relationship with food. We hated to admit that we had a problem and that we were not “normal” with food. Over time we became aware that these were symptoms of food addiction.
To discover more, answer each of the following questions as honestly as you can
- Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn't?
- Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
- Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
- Do you binge and then "get rid of the binge" through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
- Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
- Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about your eating habits or weight?
- Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
- Is your weight problem due to your "nibbling" all day long?
- Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
- Do you eat when you're not hungry?
- Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
- Do you eat in secret?
- Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
- Have you ever stolen other people's food?
- Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have "enough"?
- Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
- Do you obsessively calculate the calories you've burned against the calories you've eaten?
- Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you've eaten?
- Are you waiting for your life to begin "when you lose the weight"?
- Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you may be a food addict. You are not alone. Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous™ offers hope through a real solution to food addiction.
What Is the Next Step?
Attend an FA™ meeting
Find a meeting in your area to learn more about the program and find a sponsor. There are no dues or fees. Anyone who wants help with food addiction is welcome. Each meeting lists a contact person. Call a meeting’s contact person to confirm the meeting location, date, and time, and to ask any questions you may have.
Phone and Video Gatherings During Covid-19:
Some members are gathering by phone and video conference calls while in-person meetings are canceled. Call FA meeting contacts (listed under each meeting) for call-in information. For a list of video and phone gatherings, email email@example.com.
No Meetings in Your Area?
If there are no meetings in your area, we will help you get started and connect with a sponsor.