Are You New to Intergroup?
INTRODUCTION TO WESTERN AREA INTERGROUP OF FOOD ADDICTS IN RECOVERY ANONYMOUS (FA-WAI)
Intergroups are formed to help meetings spread the FA recovery message to others. This gift of recovery has been generously given to us as members of FA. In turn, we gratefully do what we can to pass it on. We hope you will connect with us for Intergroup's support, help, and unity.
The purpose of the Western Area Intergroup of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA-WAI) is to further the FA program in accordance with the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of FA, to maintain a communication center for FA groups, to provide unity for FA groups in the Western Area, and to educate the public about the FA program.
Communication between FA-WAI and meetings is done via email to each meeting’s Intergroup Contact. Regular communications include a monthly Summary of the Intergroup meeting minutes and Committee and Subcommittee Chair contact information.
Intergroup Contacts are responsible for reporting at monthly business meetings on Intergroup activities highlighted at the monthly meeting in the distributed Summary. This service keeps meetings and members informed about committee activities and opportunities where members can be of service.
FA-WAI meets on the 2nd Sunday of each month via ZOOM from 8:30 am to 10:00 am PT, with the exception of May when we meet on the 1st Sunday. In general, there are two parts to our Intergroup meeting: from 8:30 am-9:15 am PT, we work in committees to plan activities, and from 9:15 am-10:00 am PT, all members gather for the general Intergroup meeting where we hear WAI Board and Committee reports, and FA announcements, and conduct other WAI business.
All FA members are welcome to come to Intergroup meetings.
The Office Committee manages and maintains communication and meeting information for FA-WAI, such as:
- Maintains the FA-WAI meeting registration records
- Manages, maintains, and responds to inquiries generated on the FA-WAI phone message lines
- Liaisons between WAI and the FA Office
PUBLIC INFORMATION/MEDIA COMMITTEE
The Public Information Committee conveys information about FA's existence and the FA program to the general public. The PI Committee:
- Helps place announcements of FA meetings in local newspapers and online media outlets
- Organizes FA brochures to be available at medical offices, gyms, libraries, etc.
- Coordinates volunteers for health fairs at colleges and in the community
- Coordinates virtual and in-person speaking sessions at schools and professional organizations
Any inquiries about publications or interviews should go through this Committee to discuss how to communicate with the press about FA while keeping within the FA Traditions.
12TH STEP COMMITTEE
This Committee supports the message of recovery within our FA fellowship, locally and in outlying areas. The committee:
- Develops original writing and artwork for FA’s publication, connection magazine
- Develops e-forums on different 12th-step-related topics
SERVICE GROUP SUPPORT COMMITTEE
This committee discusses and conducts simple acts of service at the local meeting level to attract the still-suffering food addict to meetings. Members of the committee are from all over the country.
Local Service Groups have been forming to perform some of the following acts of service:
- Placing FA Books in libraries
- Placing trifolds in doctors, dentists, massage therapists, and other offices, as well as gyms, and other facilities
- Supporting service efforts of the WAI PI & 12th Step Committees
CONVENTION RESOURCE COMMITTEE
- Facilitates communication with the World Service Inc. (WSI) Convention Committee by acting as an information resource to the World Service Conference members in WAI and the general WAI fellowship
- Oversees the FA WSI Business Convention financial aid process for Western Area Intergroup (WAI) members
- Supports planning for FA Fellowship and Business Conventions
- The goal of this committee is to keep the technology running smoothly. The subcommittees include Fellowship Support and Intergroup Support.
- FA-WAI, PO Box 475067, San Francisco, CA 94147-5067
FA-WAI Phone Numbers:
- Toll-free: 800-600-6028 (meant for new members only)
- For more information on Intergroup meetings and activities, visit the FA-WAI section of the website at https://www.foodaddicts.org/wai-home
FA-WAI Board Officers:
- Chair: email@example.com
- Vice Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: email@example.com
- Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
FA-WAI Committee Chairs:
- Public Information: email@example.com
- Twelfth Step: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: email@example.com
- Service Group Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Convention Resource email@example.com
Revised November 2022