Are You New to Intergroup?
INTRODUCTION TO WESTERN AREA INTERGROUP OF FOOD ADDICTS IN RECOVERY ANONYMOUS (FA-WAI)
Intergroups are formed to help meetings carry the message of FA recovery to others. This gift of recovery has been generously given to us as members of FA. In turn, we gratefully do what we can to pass it on. We hope you will connect with us for the support, help and unity offered by Intergroup.
The purpose of the Western Area Intergroup of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA-WAI) is to further the FA program in accordance with the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of FA, to maintain a communication center for FA groups, to provide unity for FA groups in the Western Area, and to educate the public about the FA program.
FA-WAI meets the 3rd Sunday of each month via ZOOM from 8:30am to 10:00am PST. There are two parts to our Intergroup meeting: from 8:30am-9:15am PST we work in committees to plan activities; from 9:15am-10:00am PST, all members gather for the large-group, general Intergroup meeting where we hear WAI Board and Committee reports, and FA announcements, and conduct other WAI business.
All FA members are welcome to come to Intergroup meetings. Some FA members are able to come regularly and join a committee. Other FA members serve in their local area in other ways: by being an Intergroup Contact person for their meeting, by connecting with media contacts to announce local FA meetings, etc.
This committee manages and maintains communication and meeting information for FA-WAI, such as:
- Maintains the FA-WAI meeting registration records
- Manages, maintains and responds to inquiries generated on the FA-WAI phone message lines
- Coordinates and manages the FA literature “store” open to the membership before Intergroup
PUBLIC INFORMATION/MEDIA COMMITTEE
This Committee conveys information about FA's existence and about the FA program to the general public and to professionals. The PI Committee:
- Helps place announcements of FA meetings in local newspapers
- Organizes FA brochures to be available to doctors’ offices
- Coordinates tables at health fairs at colleges and in the community
- Coordinates speaking sessions at schools and with professional organizations
Any inquiries about newspaper articles, radio or TV interviews should go through this Committee in order to discuss how to communicate with the press about FA while keeping within the FA Traditions.
12TH STEP COMMITTEE
This Committee supports the message of recovery within our FA fellowship, both locally and in outlying areas. The committee:
- Arranges personal visits (12th Step Calls) and helps bring meetings to homebound members
- Maintains and distributes a list of individuals willing to speak at meetings 1-3 hours outside the Bay Area (Outlying Area Speaker List)
- Encourages support of members “on the frontier” (members living 100 miles/161 km or more from the nearest FA meeting) by promoting awareness of the Frontier Phone List (list of members who have no meetings in their area), and the Frontier Sponsor List (list of members who are willing to assist members on the frontier to find a sponsor)
- Develops original writing and artwork for FA’s publication, connection magazine
SERVICE GROUP SUPPORT COMMITTEE
This committee discusses and conducts simple acts of service at the local meeting level to attract the still- suffering food addict to meetings. Members on the committee are from all over Northern California.
Local Service Groups have been forming to perform some of the following acts of service:
- Placing FA Books in libraries
- Placing Trifolds at doctor, dentist, massage therapist, and other offices, gyms, and other facilities
- Supporting service efforts of the WAI PI & 12th Step Committees
Communication between FA-WAI and meetings is done via email to each meeting’s Intergroup Contact. Regular communications include a monthly Summary of the Intergroup meeting minutes, and Committee and Subcommittee Chair contact information.
Intergroup Contacts are responsible for reporting at monthly business meetings on Intergroup activities highlighted at the monthly meeting in the distributed Summary. This service keeps meetings and members informed about committee activities and opportunities where members can be of service.
- FA-WAI, PO Box 475067, San Francisco, CA 94147-5067
FA-WAI Phone Numbers:
- Toll free: 800-600-6028 (meant for new members only)
- For more information on Intergroup meetings and activities, visit the FA-WAI section of the website at https://www.foodaddicts.org/wai-home
FA-WAI Board Officers:
- Chair: email@example.com
- Vice Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: email@example.com
- Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
FA-WAI Committee Chairs:
- Public Information: email@example.com
- Twelfth Step: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: email@example.com
- Service Group Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Convention Resource email@example.com
Revised October 2021