Business Convention 2018
The 2018 World Service Business Convention will be held June 1 - 3
in Danvers, MA at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4/9/18: if you have a hotel room you no longer need, please contact the hotel directly to cancel your registration
Book your room by clicking HERE
Attend the Convention
The purpose of FA's annual World Service Business Convention (WSBC), as dictated by our bylaws, is to bring voting members of individual meetings together as a representative body to govern the corporate entity of FA. The focus will be on World Service Inc. (WSI) business and service at the organizational level.
All are welcome to attend. In addition to elected Conference members, anyone who serves on a board or committee at any level--World Service, Intergroup, Chapter, or Local Service Group--is encouraged to attend. Other FA members that want to learn more about the fellowship, regardless of length of abstinence or time in program, are also welcome and encouraged to attend.
Online registration is now closed--you can register on-site with a late registration fee of $15 (registration total: $55 ($40 + late fee)
- Registration fee (by March 31): $40
- On-site late fee (after March 31): $15
- On-site registration + late fee (after March 31): $55
Register for the Business Convention only when you know your final meal plan choice. You will not be allowed to change your meal plan after you have paid and registered. You may include one non-FA guest as a part of your registrations. The same meal plan options are available for guests, but without the registration fee. If you have an FA guest, they must register separately with their own login information.
- LOCATION: Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, 50 Ferncroft Road, Danvers, MA 01923 (Tel. 978-777-2500)
COST: from $146/night. Hotel reservations are not included in your FA conference reservation and can be made by contacting the hotel HERE.
HOTEL ROOMS: Hotel rooms are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. To help us plan for the event and better serve you, we ask that you only book one room for you and those who may be staying in the same room. Booking multiple rooms or room blocks lowers the total number of available rooms allotted for the event and prevents other FA members from booking rooms at the special hotel rate.
REFRIGERATORS: The hotel is unable to accommodate refrigerators in all of the FA guest rooms. Large refrigerators will be available before, during, and after the Convention in the hotel Hospitality Suite for all registered Conference attendees.
- Refund Deadline: March 31
- Refunds will be made on registrations and meals plan only if requested by email to the FA World Service Office at email@example.com by March 31. There are no exceptions to this policy (e.g., member is no longer able to attend Convention, family emergency).
- Disputes: We will require you to agree not to dispute the Convention charge with your credit card company for any reason, and to forward any issues to FA-WSI by email only for resolution to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer at the Convention
Click on one the link on the top right of this page to sign up
Ride and Lodging Sharing
FA has created a public "Ride and Lodging Sharing List" online where FA members may indicate if they need or can offer to share a ride or provide lodging assistance for the Business Convention. This online list will be available starting February 28, 2018.
To VIEW the Ride and Lodging List, click here.
Attend the 10am "Chelsea" meeting on June 1
Due to its overwhelming popularity, the meeting that usually takes place in Chelsea, MA on Friday's at 10am will take place at the Danvers hotel this year in order to accommodate as many people that want to attend. Room location at the hotel will be announced soon.
Attend "The Forum" on June 1
- FA is pleased to announce that The Forum, which ran from 2006 to 2009 is coming back to the Business Convention! The Forum will take place on Friday, June 1 from 1:00-3:50pm.
- The Forum gives us all the opportunity to share what has worked and what has not worked in reaching the newcomer, starting and maintaining healthy meetings, and maintaining our own recovery from food addiction.
- The format will include opening remarks, four break-out sessions, and a closing session providing members with the opportunity to share about the break-outs they attended. Please note that to attend The Forum you must register for the Business Convention.
- For a description of the Forum break-out sessions, click HERE.
Conference/Voting Member Registration (Closed)
Submit a Motion (Closed)
As determined at the 2008 WSBC, motions are submitted by Intergroups and Chapters. Intergroups and Chapters that wish to submit a motion should read the FA WSBC Motion Submission Procedure. Completed forms should be submitted online by 11:59pm ET on March 2.
Voting Member Registration (Closed)
World Service Conference Voting Members (i.e., Voting Members) have two registration procedures:
- Register as a WSC member
- Pay Convention registration fee (and purchase a meal plan, if desired)
- If meetings haven’t done so already, WSC members should be elected at the January business meeting. WSC members must have at least five years of abstinence and have completed at least one AWOL. If you’re interested in serving as a WSC member, please read “Document 7: Service Positions - Description of Responsibilities” and the World Service Conference Member document.
- FA meetings should not set aside funds to send WSC members to the Convention. If your meeting is collecting money for this purpose, please read “Document 8: From a Traditions Perspective” for WSI’s position regarding this practice
- Needs-based financial aid is available for WSC members who qualify. The application is available by sending an email request to your respective Intergroup: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for WSI Board Officer/Committee Chair Position (Closed)
Each year at the WSBC, we hold elections for WSI Officers and Committee Chairs. Anyone who is interested and meets the qualifications is encouraged to apply by the deadline of 11:59pm ET on Friday, March 2. This year we are accepting nominations for the following positions: Chair, Vice-Chair, Bylaws, Convention Planning, Office, connection, Traditions.
Voting Member Documents
- World Service Board Applications
- Motion: Increase Member Donation Limit
- Motion: Definition of a Food Addict - Aligning Bylaws with the Meeting Format
- Motion: Twenty Questions Revision*
- World Service Business Convention World Service Conference Members
*We welcome any feedback, suggested edits, and comments on the proposed Twenty Questions revisions prior to the Convention because we will not wordsmith the document at the Convention. Send your feedback to email@example.com by 11:59pm ET on April 30.
General Convention Documents
- 2018 Forum Breakout Session Descriptions
- Document 8: From a Traditions Perspective
- 2018 World Service Business Convention Information
- Convention DRAFT Meal Plan
- Email 1: 2018 FA World Service Business Convention Details
- Email 2: 2018 FA World Service Business Convention Details
- Email 3: 2018 FA Business Convention Elections
- Email 4: 2018 FA Business Convention Registration Deadline & Other Info
- Email 5: 2018 World Service Conference Members Notice
- Updated Committee Chair Applications - WSC Members Notice